Wednesday, January 1, 2014

holidays pt. II

so,

Aaron and i just finished giving christmas gifts a couple days late. this holiday we promised to only exchange books, to take some pressure off. I thought i was being sweet, I sewed him a book together to be a scrapbook with the help of my friend who was taking a bookmaking class. it has nice little envelopes and notes sewn in and i'll take pictures of it later. but he went above
he got me three books by women photographers, illuminance by rinko kawauchi whose style he thinks mirrors my own as it captures moments, its every day and not specific. the first page i opened to was one she had taken of a cicada which made me feel so warm. that was present. then there were past (dive dark, dream slow-- archival collection) and future (called bed&breakfast because i often dream of opening one with him, how nice could that be.)
then he made me a book of my photos and his words, a project we call SCRAAPBOOK.
and then he got me a bookmaking kit with yarns and needles and paper and cardboard and instructions because i have told him how much i've wanted to learn.
and last he broke the rules and got me the LOMO original camera which I've been lusting after since grade 10. I feel so lucky for such a supportive boy, sorry for bragging right now but really. really, I'm grateful.

then we drove our ways to Asheville, and got fancied up for a new years celebration filled with nice drinks, warm talks, list sharing, gift giving (Marcy got me the loveliest rose tea and jar for it, along with a wooden painted box filled with feathers and slides of landmarks in european cities, so dreamy), and group photos. I felt warm about that too like i did with the cicada. I'm happy with the way things are when I'm in certain places-- there are special places for me. Some places just hit me hard and make me weep little joyful tears and make me blush about ten times more. Asheville is one of those places.












 happy holidays, everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment