Friday, January 31, 2014

new zealand.

I made it, I'm here, almost ten thousand miles from home. or anyone I know really. it feels strange but like home, too. it's hot, and I spend my days hanging laundry on lines and reading in open fields and chasing sheep, who I thought would be a little more friendly than it turns out they are. I thought I made really good friends with a horse, but then today he went and punched me in the face. I know for sure I've made good friends with a cat, though. I've been here six days, and I'll be here six more and then I move southward to Te Anau.

I've already shot four or five rolls of film, and I brought twenty-four and I thought that would be plenty. I am going crazy though: every which way you turn is something beautiful to take in, something I want to remember.

The family I'm staying with is kind and busy. homeschooled children including two two-year-old twins with the blondest hair. We're on a farm in Tapawera, surrounded by mountains and thousands of sheep farms. They all have the sweetest accents and use of language which I'm picking up quickly..

Here's some things from recently:









All the sheep sit underneath of this tree a bit sunken into the ground with rocks under it and they remind me of mermaids in a lagoon a little bit.






and by the way, I changed my url to beehaves. I'm not sure if that's what it'll stay as though-- I wanted beehives but that was obviously not available and thought this was kind of fun(ny). i could be wrong. i need to think about it for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Sheep mermaids in a grove lagoon, that made my day! Thank you for sharing, it looks and sounds such a joyful place.

    ReplyDelete